Wednesday 20 March 2013

Book Review: Requiem

*WARNING- This is my first written book review so I apologise if it isn't up to par*


"Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor." 

Requiem by Lauren Oliver is the third book in the Delirium trilogy. This was probably my least favourite book in the series which could partly be due to me having very high expectations of it...VERY HIGH! What can I say? I couldn't help it, Delirium and Pandemonium were both amazing. 

Not many other young adult series have kept my interest as well as this one. In the dystopian world, the idea of love being viewed as a disease genuinely enthralled me.Whilst I have enjoyed other dystopian books, such as Skylark and Wither, their dystopian world never fully captivated me. 

The other thing about this series that I loved was the love triangle. Generally, in other books, I don't "get into" the love triangle; don't get me wrong, I still take a firm stance as to who I want the protagonist to be with but I never fuss about it. And I can normally predict who the protagonist will end up with. This series was different. I loved both Alex and Julian and could have easily imagined and enjoyed Lena with either of them. Oliver really is quite clever in how she creates the triangle. In Delirium, we are introduced to this insanely good looking, loving and slightly dangerous guy who we instantly loved. In Pandemonium, she gives us a sweet, gentle and caring guy who had the potential to be annoying  but instead the reader can't help but fall in love with him as well. 

Anyway, back to the nitty gritties of Requiem. 

It alternated between Hana and Lena's perspectives which I did quite like. It was good because Hana and Lena didn't have a whole lot of interaction in this book so you still got to see both of them and also because you got to see how life was in the wilds and also in Portland. 

The other major discussion area in this book was the ending. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I liked it :/ Me, with my very high hopes of this book, and being all "Team Alex!" wanted some sort happy ending with Alex and Lena but instead it was an open ending leaving a few questions unanswered. I guess what she wanted to achieve was that sweet feeling of 'everything is going to get better.' Instead I ended up pissed and wondering where the heck the rest of my book was. 

Overall, it was a good book and if you loved the other 2 books, you have to read this one! :)

Until next time, toodle-loo kangaroo :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment